May 22, 2026

Adama, May 12/2018 (From the Ministry of Urban Development and Infrastructure) The Urban Food Security and Safety Net Office of the Ministry of Urban Development and Infrastructure is reviewing the nine-month plan performance of the Urban Development Safety Net and Work Project for the 2018 fiscal year together with regional sector leaders, project beneficiary city coordinators, and stakeholders.

The Head of the Urban Food Security and Safety Net Office, Ato Berhanu Teshome, who officially launched the forum, said in his opening speech that the Safety Net is an effective federal project that has been working to improve the lives of citizens by bringing vulnerable groups to the market and reducing poverty in cities. He said that 15 percent of the 31 million people living in cities are poor. The head said that more than 2.5 million citizens have benefited from the project so far.

In connection with this, he said that with the additional budget of 250 million dollars approved this year, three hundred and eighteen thousand local development beneficiaries, one hundred thousand youth, and eight thousand citizens who have lost their livelihoods and livelihoods are being benefited. He said that since the Urban Development Safety Net is available only in Africa, a delegation from Angola recently came to share Ethiopia’s experience.

Following his opening speech, today, the 9-month plan performance report of Gambella, Afar, Harare regions and Dire Dawa city administration was presented and discussed. In the forums to be held in the coming days, the third quarter field monitoring and support findings report, the independent body’s project procurement audit findings reports will be presented and discussed, and the program will provide a platform for sharing best practices, addressing gaps, and providing future directions, according to the released program.

Posted in: News